It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:39 am

FoFix on Windows 7

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules

FoFix on Windows 7

Postby AK963 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:39 am

On my machine I could play FoFiX on medium settings and get ~30 FPS on XP. I have now installed windows 7 and its completely unplayable (you click to go down in the menu and it takes about 5 seconds for the election to change). Just wondering if there was a fix or if it was just Windows 7. (My drivers are all up to date)

Btw I have tried Audiosurf on both XP and 7 and notice no difference in performance.
AK963

Re: FoFix on Windows 7

Postby Hiasl » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:12 am

AK963 wrote:On my machine I could play FoFiX on medium settings and get ~30 FPS on XP. I have now installed windows 7 and its completely unplayable (you click to go down in the menu and it takes about 5 seconds for the election to change). Just wondering if there was a fix or if it was just Windows 7. (My drivers are all up to date)

Btw I have tried Audiosurf on both XP and 7 and notice no difference in performance.

What's your graphic card. Go here and update your driver. I reinstalled vista some time ago and I had the same problem. After I downloaded a driver and installed it worked again. Perhaps the first driver don't work, but don'd worry try another one.
Hiasl

Postby AK963 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:41 am

Device manager says I have the latest drives (most probably from intel), and Intels driver tool dosen't support windows 7. The problem is the computer is an Acer Aspire One netbook (perfectly capable of playing FoF), so its reccomended that you should use acer drivers and not intels for best performance. The only acer drivers are for XP, I just force installed them in windows 7, but they didn't work. So I guess I need to wait for Acer windows 7 drivers :S
AK963

Postby Hiasl » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:08 am

AK963 wrote:Device manager says I have the latest drives (most probably from intel), and Intels driver tool dosen't support windows 7. The problem is the computer is an Acer Aspire One netbook (perfectly capable of playing FoF), so its reccomended that you should use acer drivers and not intels for best performance. The only acer drivers are for XP, I just force installed them in windows 7, but they didn't work. So I guess I need to wait for Acer windows 7 drivers :S

You should try it with vista drivers. It's a performance driver, but it worls. That's why these are inthe wiki.
Hiasl

Postby AK963 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:24 am

Thing is I don't know where to get this vista drivers. I would assume intels website, the problem is it offers serveral variation of drivers for the intel 945 chipset (not to be confused with the GMA 950, the GPU itself). DxDiag won't tell me which variation I need, and intels site won't work with 7, so I think I need a tool to tell my the precise chipset.
AK963

Postby jstump91 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:28 pm

I have given it a try under Windows 7, and it was slow too.

I suspect poor OpenGL support in the Windows 7 drivers.

It works perfectly under Vista on the same hardware.
jstump91, a.k.a. john.stumpo, a.k.a. stump
jstump.com | stump's blog | FoFiX development | My own code
Can't find a Windows build of the Python module you need? Try my mediafire!
Don't say "Python can't do [insert task here]." Python can do anything with the right modules - said modules may just not have been written yet.
"Python - why settle for snake oil when you can have the whole snake?" --Mark Jackson
Did you search before you posted? Did you read the rules for the subforum you are posting in?
FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Postby Hiasl » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:36 pm

AK963 wrote:Thing is I don't know where to get this vista drivers. I would assume intels website, the problem is it offers serveral variation of drivers for the intel 945 chipset (not to be confused with the GMA 950, the GPU itself). DxDiag won't tell me which variation I need, and intels site won't work with 7, so I think I need a tool to tell my the precise chipset.

Go to [url]fretsonfire.wikidot.com[/url] and click there on updating graphic drivers for laptops. Try a version with display driver, if it dont work download another one.
Hiasl

Postby AK963 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:07 pm

Hiasl wrote:
AK963 wrote:Thing is I don't know where to get this vista drivers. I would assume intels website, the problem is it offers serveral variation of drivers for the intel 945 chipset (not to be confused with the GMA 950, the GPU itself). DxDiag won't tell me which variation I need, and intels site won't work with 7, so I think I need a tool to tell my the precise chipset.

Go to [url]fretsonfire.wikidot.com[/url] and click there on updating graphic drivers for laptops. Try a version with display driver, if it dont work download another one.

Thats only for ATI and Nvidea cards, mine is intel.

jstump91 wrote:I have given it a try under Windows 7, and it was slow too.

I suspect poor OpenGL support in the Windows 7 drivers.

It works perfectly under Vista on the same hardware.

this is what I would put it down to, I have tried compatibility mode but it gave the same results.

Right now I'm going to try to get drivers from intel's site, and use trial and error, but I guess it all comes down the OS being in beta.
AK963

Postby therude » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:08 pm

I just took the plunge and installed W7 beta last weekend. I was thrilled that it supported a lot of things, but my video drivers rendered FoFix and Tribes 2 useless, which is a huge bummer.

I used Intel's driver update site, and I was able to roll back my drivers and get FoFix to work (yay!). I have the Intel 945 chipset, and I used the Vista Ultimate 32bit drivers. It said it was not the correct OS when I first tried to install the file. But I used the troubleshoot install feature and it took care of it. Hope this help you with your troubles. Let me know if I can offer any more assistance.
therude

Postby AK963 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:59 pm

I git it working!!

Downloaded the vista drivers from intel's site and installed in compatibility mode.

Thanks for all the advice everyone :)
AK963

Return to Tech Support