Mac Users FAQ - Helpful Information

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules
This topic is 4 years and 5 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
trinidude4
Member
Posts: 395
Joined: March 22nd, 2008
Reputation: 0

Mac Users FAQ - Helpful Information

Postby trinidude4 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:50 pm

What versions of FoF work on a Mac?

Where are the songs stored in Mac versions of FoF?
Most of the newer versions of FoF allow you to select an external song directory from the game options.
For some versions of FoF, songs are stored inside the application package. To find the folder, do the following: Right-click on the FoF app and select "Show Package Contents". Then go to "Content/Resources/data/songs". Any songs you put inside this folder will be in the game. You can make the song folder a symbolic link to another folder outside of the application package. One way to do this is:
Ignignokt wrote:I would strongly suggest downloading the following contextual menu item: SymbolicLinker. This will let you make "symlinks" to folders, which is basically the UNIX version of Mac "aliases". The advantage here is just about any program will treat symlinks exactly the same as a real folder, unlike aliases. With the CM item installed, make a symlink by right-clicking on the "songs" folder and pick "Make Symbolic Link". Now move the original "songs" folder anywhere else, and rename the "songs symlink" to "songs".


Where is the fretsonfire.ini?
The first place to check is inside the application package. To find the ini, do the following: Right-click on the FoF app and select "Show Package Contents". Then go to "Content/Resources".
If the ini is not there, it will be located at ~/.fretsonfire/fretsonfire.ini. The easiest way to get to this directory is to open Finder and press "Command+Shift+G". Type in "~/.fretsonfire/" in the window that pops up without the quotes.

Where is the fretsonfire.log?
This is located in the ~/.fretsonfire directory. The easiest way to get to this directory is to open Finder and press "Command+Shift+G". Type in "~/.fretsonfire/" in the window that pops up without the quotes.
If you are using FoFiX, the log is located in ~/Library/Logs.

How do I get a controller to work with FoF?
  • If you are using an Xbox 360 controller, you will need Xbox 360 drivers. Squalz611 posted a tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIG6Oy4TtgQ
  • If you are using a PS2 controller, you will need a PSX-to-USB adapter and possibly Gamepad Companion.
  • If you are using a PS3 controller, you will probably only need Gamepad Companion.
  • For a Wii GH3 guitar, you can use Wiitar, DarwiinRemote, or Osculator.
  • For a Wii GHWT Guitar, Wiitar will work with some modification. Download my modified version here: Wiitar - GHWT Compatible
  • For a Wii GHWT Drum set, I modified Wiitar to work. Get it here: Wiidrum - GHWT Compatible
    (Excuse the name and icon, but that's how I differentiate the programs on my computer.)
    To permanently modify the key mapping for Wiitar (or Wiidrum), you have to modify the MainMenu.nib located in Wiitar.app > Contents > Resources > English.lproj. You will need the Interface Builder installed, which comes as part of Mac's Developer Tools.

jdunk4 provided a lot of information in the fof wiki:
jdunk4 wrote:How to get all of your Wii instruments to work in FoF.

Go here: http://fretsonfire.wikidot.com/using-wi ... on-mac-fof

:2thumbsup:



How do I fret songs on a Mac?
Try EOF for Mac from this thread: http://www.fretsonfire.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32725

How do I open a rar file?
Use a program like RAR Expander, UnRarX, or the free version of StuffIt Expander.

This is only a start to a new FAQ. It will need some reorganizing and I will need help with the guitar information since I don't have much experience with getting them to work.
Last edited by trinidude4 on Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Celebrating 10 Years
User avatar
wolferacing
Moderator
Posts: 1797
Joined: July 25th, 2007
Location: USA
Reputation: 20
Contact:

Re: Mac FAQ

Postby wolferacing » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:25 am

Wow, great job! This will defiantly help members out.
Image
trinidude4
Member
Posts: 395
Joined: March 22nd, 2008
Reputation: 0

Re: Mac Users FAQ - Helpful Information

Postby trinidude4 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:19 pm

I updated the first post with up modified versions of Wiitar that I put together so that I could use my Wii GHWT Guitar and Drums with FoF. Wiitar isn't the most customizable program, but it's the only thing I could get to work with Wii GHWT controllers. I'm still looking at Darwiinremote, but I couldn't get it to work yet.
trinidude4 wrote:
  • For a Wii GHWT Guitar, Wiitar will work with some modification. Download my modified version here: Wiitar - GHWT Compatible
  • For a Wii GHWT Drum set, I modified Wiitar to work. Get it here: Wiidrum - GHWT Compatible
    (Excuse the name and icon, but that's how I differentiate the programs on my computer.)
    To permanently modify the key mapping for Wiitar (or Wiidrum), you have to modify the MainMenu.nib located in Wiitar.app > Contents > Resources > English.lproj. You will need the Interface Builder installed, which comes as part of Mac's Developer Tools.


--Edit--
Links updated with new versions that handle connecting better. Wiitar also has upstrum and downstrum key mappings available now.
Squalz611
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: March 30th, 2008
Reputation: 0

Re: Mac Users FAQ - Helpful Information

Postby Squalz611 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:23 am

Thanks for linking to my tutorial!
destroyman
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: May 22nd, 2008
Reputation: 0

Re: Mac Users FAQ - Helpful Information

Postby destroyman » Sun May 10, 2009 9:04 am

Thanks very much! :2thumbsup:
Billy5555100
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: August 29th, 2008
Reputation: 0

Re: Mac Users FAQ - Helpful Information

Postby Billy5555100 » Sat May 16, 2009 6:51 am

Thanks - this really helped me out... time to carry my drumset into my room! :biggrin:
Knux2007
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: May 16th, 2009
Reputation: 0

Re: Mac Users FAQ - Helpful Information

Postby Knux2007 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:05 pm

Thanks for that FoF file for 10.3 users, but I still can't put songs into the songs folder, and SymbolicLinker for some reason opens random apps when I try to use it. It won't let me use "Make symbolic Link" Either. Any Advice?
ringo20000
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: April 27th, 2008
Reputation: 0

Re: Mac Users FAQ - Helpful Information

Postby ringo20000 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Is there anyway to get the ps3 wireless guitar from rock band 2 working on os x? I tried gamepad companion but it doesn't show up.
trinidude4
Member
Posts: 395
Joined: March 22nd, 2008
Reputation: 0

Re: Mac Users FAQ - Helpful Information

Postby trinidude4 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:50 am

Knux2007 wrote:Thanks for that FoF file for 10.3 users, but I still can't put songs into the songs folder, and SymbolicLinker for some reason opens random apps when I try to use it. It won't let me use "Make symbolic Link" Either. Any Advice?


You can try using the terminal and "ln -s" to make a symbolic link. I really have no experience with SymbolicLinker. I just copied the info from the older Mac FAQ. If you want to use Terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal), type:

ln -s songsdir FoFdir/Frets\ on\ Fire.app/Contents/Resources/data/songs

songsdir is the directory where your songs are located, and FoFdir is the path to your FoF app.

ringo20000 wrote:Is there anyway to get the ps3 wireless guitar from rock band 2 working on os x? I tried gamepad companion but it doesn't show up.


Sorry, no idea yet. Hopefully someone who has the ps3 wireless guitar can help.
zikara
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: November 11th, 2008
Reputation: 0

Re: Mac Users FAQ - Helpful Information

Postby zikara » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:20 pm

Great thread. I used to play FoF on my windows, but i was using the trial version of bluesoleil, and it expired and i can't get rid of it. Anyway, great thread for mac users. I use darwiin remote for my GH3 guitar, but i want to do two player and my only other guitar is a GHWT guitar. I downloaded your modded Wiitar, and set the buttons to keys, but i can't click the connect button(it's faded so i can't click it), so i can't connect my GHWT guitar to Wiitar. Do you know why this is happening? :confused:
trinidude4
Member
Posts: 395
Joined: March 22nd, 2008
Reputation: 0

Re: Mac Users FAQ - Helpful Information

Postby trinidude4 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:18 pm

zikara wrote:Great thread. I used to play FoF on my windows, but i was using the trial version of bluesoleil, and it expired and i can't get rid of it. Anyway, great thread for mac users. I use darwiin remote for my GH3 guitar, but i want to do two player and my only other guitar is a GHWT guitar. I downloaded your modded Wiitar, and set the buttons to keys, but i can't click the connect button(it's faded so i can't click it), so i can't connect my GHWT guitar to Wiitar. Do you know why this is happening? :confused:


I think when the app initially opens, you don't have to click connect. Just hit the 1 and 2 on the wiimote. The Connect button will be clickable if there is a connection error so you can try connecting again.
zikara
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: November 11th, 2008
Reputation: 0

Re: Mac Users FAQ - Helpful Information

Postby zikara » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:06 am

trinidude4 wrote:
zikara wrote:Great thread. I used to play FoF on my windows, but i was using the trial version of bluesoleil, and it expired and i can't get rid of it. Anyway, great thread for mac users. I use darwiin remote for my GH3 guitar, but i want to do two player and my only other guitar is a GHWT guitar. I downloaded your modded Wiitar, and set the buttons to keys, but i can't click the connect button(it's faded so i can't click it), so i can't connect my GHWT guitar to Wiitar. Do you know why this is happening? :confused:


I think when the app initially opens, you don't have to click connect. Just hit the 1 and 2 on the wiimote. The Connect button will be clickable if there is a connection error so you can try connecting again.


Well, i had also tried pressing 1 & 2 together like it said, and it didn't connect. I know it's not my bluetooth, cus it works fine with my GH3 guitar. Do you know why it might not connect when I press 1 & 2.
trinidude4
Member
Posts: 395
Joined: March 22nd, 2008
Reputation: 0

Re: Mac Users FAQ - Helpful Information

Postby trinidude4 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:32 am

zikara wrote:
trinidude4 wrote:
zikara wrote:Great thread. I used to play FoF on my windows, but i was using the trial version of bluesoleil, and it expired and i can't get rid of it. Anyway, great thread for mac users. I use darwiin remote for my GH3 guitar, but i want to do two player and my only other guitar is a GHWT guitar. I downloaded your modded Wiitar, and set the buttons to keys, but i can't click the connect button(it's faded so i can't click it), so i can't connect my GHWT guitar to Wiitar. Do you know why this is happening? :confused:


I think when the app initially opens, you don't have to click connect. Just hit the 1 and 2 on the wiimote. The Connect button will be clickable if there is a connection error so you can try connecting again.


Well, i had also tried pressing 1 & 2 together like it said, and it didn't connect. I know it's not my bluetooth, cus it works fine with my GH3 guitar. Do you know why it might not connect when I press 1 & 2.


I'm not really sure. I can connect with my GHWT guitar without any problems. I'll play around a little and see if I find anything, but I'm not sure if I can reproduce your problem.
Knux2007
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: May 16th, 2009
Reputation: 0

Re: Mac Users FAQ - Helpful Information

Postby Knux2007 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:39 pm

I tried that, but is says no such file or directory. I tried to just put them in, but I can't because it says songs folder cannot be modified. What is with that?
trinidude4
Member
Posts: 395
Joined: March 22nd, 2008
Reputation: 0

Re: Mac Users FAQ - Helpful Information

Postby trinidude4 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:37 pm

Knux2007 wrote:I tried that, but is says no such file or directory. I tried to just put them in, but I can't because it says songs folder cannot be modified. What is with that?


Are you running FoF from inside the DMG? If you are, you'll have to move FoF to your desktop to modify the songs folder. If you are running it outside of a DMG, then you'll probably have to modify the songs folder permissions.

Return to “Tech Support”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests