It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:40 am

Nyko Frontman PS2?

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules

Nyko Frontman PS2?

Postby stewoiscool » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:24 pm

Hi, I have a Nyko Frontman, for PS2, and in the compatibility section it says it works. But when I plug it in through USB, nothing happens, except a flashing orange light near where it says "link" (on the guitar). Any help here? Thanks.

And if it helps, I'm running FoFiX v3.030 on Vista.
Proud member of Scorehero

Going For ? FC- Afterlife (FOF) after I can get my guitar to connect, then probably all of GH1 (FOF).
stewoiscool

Re: Nyko Frontman PS2?

Postby amich45 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:30 pm

Restart your computer. Plug it in and it should install drivers. Restart your computer. Now it should work.

I have same guitar for PS3. It just isn't good at connecting before the drivers are installed. I had to push both buttons (Guitar and Doggle) at the same time like 3 times before it would connect.

Bottom line is that your guitar will work. It just doesn't like to be cooperative until you brainwash it.
amich45

Postby stewoiscool » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:41 pm

amich45 wrote:Restart your computer. Plug it in and it should install drivers. Restart your computer. Now it should work.

I have same guitar for PS3. It just isn't good at connecting before the drivers are installed. I had to push both buttons (Guitar and Doggle) at the same time like 3 times before it would connect.

Bottom line is that your guitar will work. It just doesn't like to be cooperative until you brainwash it.

Sorry, I'm really new to FoF, and Scorehero doesn't allow FoF discussion, but what exactly is the doggle? I'm guessing it's that thing that plugs into your Ps2/ps3, but I could be wrong.

Going For ? FC- Afterlife (FOF) after I can get my guitar to connect, then probably all of GH1 (FOF).
stewoiscool

Postby amich45 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:55 pm

Yes the doggle is the wireless receiver. I don't know if you have one with the PS2 version. I really wish I could help more, but the guitar is really temperamental setting it up. It does work though.
amich45

Postby stewoiscool » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:59 pm

amich45 wrote:Yes the doggle is the wireless receiver. I don't know if you have one with the PS2 version. I really wish I could help more, but the guitar is really temperamental setting it up. It does work though.

Yes I have one with the PS2 version, but I don't see a port to plug it in on my computer. Do I have to get a extender of some sort?

Edit: I saw some other version of the Frontman, and the USB is going through the wireless thing, but mine is not. I have a USB going through some port in my guitar, if that clears up anything.

stewoiscool

Postby amich45 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:12 pm

stewoiscool wrote:
amich45 wrote:Yes the doggle is the wireless receiver. I don't know if you have one with the PS2 version. I really wish I could help more, but the guitar is really temperamental setting it up. It does work though.

Yes I have one with the PS2 version, but I don't see a port to plug it in on my computer. Do I have to get a extender of some sort?

Edit: I saw some other version of the Frontman, and the USB is going through the wireless thing, but mine is not. I have a USB going through some port in my guitar, if that clears up anything.

hmmm... Mine has a Wireless thing that plugs into my computer via USB. It also has a optional USB cord that goes directly from USB to guitar. I know to use most PS2 Guitars you need a USB to PS2 converter.

If this is what you have, you need something to convert the Red box to USB. Which could look something like this.

That is, if I understand you right.

--EDIT--
Oh, I think I understand you. You use a USB cord from the guitar directly to the computer. So you don't use the doggle. If this is the case there should be no problem. Only thing I can suggest is downloading Xpadder. Pulgging in your guitar let anything instal if it does so. Leave guitar plugged in and restart computer. Try again. Try to open Xpadder and get that to recognize your guitar. If you are able to get Xpadder to be friends with your Frontman. FOFix will accept your Frontman as a friend because of Xpadder.
amich45

Postby stewoiscool » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:24 pm

Ok, Ill just try to leave my guitar in while restarting my computer WITHOUT xpadder. Im going to see how that works.

EDIT: Your edit is exactly what I have.

EDIT2: Ill do it tomorrow, don't have time right now to do stuff with it.

---- EDIT ----

Restarted comp. with USB hooked in, still didnt work =/. I guess ill try with xpadder.

This is what I have.

stewoiscool

Postby stewoiscool » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:45 pm

Ok this makes no sense. I plug it in, my computer doesn't reconize it at all. I even went to Control Panel-->Add Hardware, and it still doesn't work. How exactly would xpadder fix this?

stewoiscool

Postby Sogg Nomis » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:34 pm

I brought this guitar for my bro and had trouble hookin it up too. it was for Ps2 / PS3 wireless. forget the guitar for now can you plug in the USB dongle connector to the PC and have windows recognize it as a game controller in control panel. this is the first step I could get this no problem my problem was sync the guitar to the wireless dongle the instruction were wrong. you have to tap it like 4 or 5 times and it will connect.

If you can't get windows to recognize the dongle when plugged in though then there is no hope. What windows are you using? I had XP Service Pack 3 and it worked ok. displays in the game controllers as a PS2 \ PS3 Game controller.

Sorry there is no real new info here as "amich45" has pretty much explained the way you have to do it.
I Wanna Rock
Sogg Nomis

Postby stewoiscool » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:55 pm

Sogg Nomis wrote:I brought this guitar for my bro and had trouble hookin it up too. it was for Ps2 / PS3 wireless. forget the guitar for now can you plug in the USB dongle connector to the PC and have windows recognize it as a game controller in control panel. this is the first step I could get this no problem my problem was sync the guitar to the wireless dongle the instruction were wrong. you have to tap it like 4 or 5 times and it will connect.

If you can't get windows to recognize the dongle when plugged in though then there is no hope. What windows are you using? I had XP Service Pack 3 and it worked ok. displays in the game controllers as a PS2 \ PS3 Game controller.

Sorry there is no real new info here as "amich45" has pretty much explained the way you have to do it.

But there isnt any kind of port on my doggle, what am I missing here? I might just get a wireless reciever for my WTar.

stewoiscool

Postby Sogg Nomis » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:19 pm

then as above suggested by "amich45" if it only has the PS controller plug (I.E the dongle looks like it can only plug into the playstation) you need a PS to USB converter found on ebay for about $10 - $15 bucks AU. I use a converter for my PS2 wired guitar and all functions work except whammy bar, have to use another button.

My understanding that Whammy only works on straight USB connections either wired or wireless. The PS3 version of the Frontman works fine on the PC including whammy.
I Wanna Rock
Sogg Nomis

Postby stewoiscool » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Sogg Nomis wrote:then as above suggested by "amich45" if it only has the PS controller plug (I.E the dongle looks like it can only plug into the playstation) you need a PS to USB converter found on ebay for about $10 - $15 bucks AU. I use a converter for my PS2 wired guitar and all functions work except whammy bar, have to use another button.

My understanding that Whammy only works on straight USB connections either wired or wireless. The PS3 version of the Frontman works fine on the PC including whammy.

Ok thanks to both of you for helping me. But I've decided to get a 360 wireless reciever for PC, for my WT. Just seems like too much work.

stewoiscool

Return to Tech Support