It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:54 am

FoFiX 3.120 Beta 2 Review

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules

FoFiX 3.120 Beta 2 Review

Postby KTownEgghead » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:14 pm

Alright, so earlier, I got around to actually playing the new beta extensively (I've only jammed on and off for a few weeks), and here's what I think (NOTE: I'm using the Python 2.4 version):

INTERFACE: Same as the other beta. Menus are simple to navigate (Although it takes a while to actually play a song because of all the menus... I didn't see an option to turn off characters). A nice feature would just be a true "quickplay" mode where you hit the button and pick a song without all the extras. Overall, very well done.

GAMEPLAY: Shaders! Very nice addition. The in-game graphics are flawless, thank you for that. The game runs much smoother than the last beta, so that's a plus. I'm really looking forward to a RC or an official release soon. The gameplay itself remains the same and no complaints on my end.

SPEED: Like I said, much faster than BETA 1. Still a few issues with lag but nothing severe. I'm getting a better FPS rate than usual since switching.

COMPLAINTS: The microphone. I'm trying to use my webcam mic, but it says it's disabled. It works fine in all the other programs except for FoFiX. I made sure that it wasn't being used elsewhere... I might try a new mic tomorrow.

OVERALL: I love it, TBH. You guys are doing a wonderful job. Keep up the good work and know that your work does not go unappreciated!
I find comfort in this mess of things;
My skewed perception of reality.
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Re: FoFiX 3.120 Beta 2 Review

Postby death_au » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:28 pm

KTownEgghead wrote:A nice feature would just be a true "quickplay" mode where you hit the button and pick a song without all the extras.

I agree. There could be an option to cut out character select and leave a "default" character. Not sure you'd be able to skip the controller selection though. It's kinda important...

KTownEgghead wrote:I'm trying to use my webcam mic, but it says it's disabled. It works fine in all the other programs except for FoFiX. I made sure that it wasn't being used elsewhere... I might try a new mic tomorrow.

Which theme are you using? Have you checked that the theme has a "vocals" folder? If it doesn't you may need to copy one from another theme. (That's the most common cause of a disabled microphone).

I liked your review, too. More people should write more reviews like this to give some better feedback.
Contact me:
Before you PM me, consider:
Perhaps the question has already been answered? Use the search function.
Perhaps other members of the community can help? Try posting a new topic.
Perhaps you need to gain the attention of any or all moderators? Use the report feature.
Website developer for Aerion Technologies
Main menu idea stolen from Angellinus. Thanks to raph for adding the code to make it possible.

Disclaimer:
  I would never presume to tell people how to do their job. I simply put forward suggestions.  
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby ALVX » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:30 pm

in general several things you say there are true, what good taste I stress that you can now play like real rock band with full band, microphone not eh tested with respect to rb coop mode is great but I have a big problem that hinders me from playing 3 o4 players, which is the song that starts when it becomes slow, sometimes it becomes annoying, but sometimes can happen, but overall this version is excellent congratulations to the creators that I by not having a console to play these games I do play possible: O thank you all the best for the future and the future editions;)
I Am Chilean!!
ALVX

Postby KTownEgghead » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:42 pm

Aha, I don't have a vocal folder in my theme folder. Thank you for telling me about that! I'm hoping that will work... I'm going to use the Linux version when it comes out as well.
I find comfort in this mess of things;
My skewed perception of reality.
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby Serial Rapist » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:56 pm

oh well, I got a RB2 theme, got the vocals folder from the megalight theme and put it in there and well, overall this beta is good. Same thing as the ur review but... here are my issues

Microphone: Arrow too big (to fix it, open it up with photoshop and shrink it)

Microphone: Bad pitch, hard to score. (the devs are fixing this at the moment, and hopefully, mic will be fully compatible and pitch fix)

Last of all would be the random crashing.

And yea, overall, the only issues I have is random crashes and microphone. I don't blame the microphone for being kind of unstable at the moment cuz its newly implanted.
Serial Rapist

Return to FoFiX