Advanced Song Tutorial 2 - *Become a Great Fretter*

A collection of helpful posts
This topic is 7 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Black Moon Broods...
User avatar
aander91
Member
Posts: 4873
Joined: December 15th, 2007
Reputation: 0
Contact:

Re: Advanced Song Tutorial 2 - *Become a Great Fretter*

Postby aander91 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:36 pm

Wow, I've never actually read this, but now that I have I'm amazed at how...well ingenious this is. It's like using a toaster to fly you across the ocean. I've always thought the way you synced your charts was hideous and had no idea what in the hell you were doing or how you could've possibly gotten it so accurate when I looked at them, but really, that's an awesome way to do it, ingenious even.

Oh, and btw, I <3 anchors. :P
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
A bit sleepy
User avatar
Kotti
Member
Posts: 2860
Joined: March 23rd, 2007
Location: Finland
Reputation: 0
Contact:

Re: Advanced Song Tutorial 2 - *Become a Great Fretter*

Postby Kotti » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:42 am

Well I might as well post this somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_73LFI1pzjo
Image
Image
700+ songs fretted!!
User avatar
Puppetz
Member
Posts: 8305
Joined: June 10th, 2007
Location: Finland
Reputation: 4
Contact:

Re: Advanced Song Tutorial 2 - *Become a Great Fretter*

Postby Puppetz » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:28 am

Kotti wrote:Well I might as well post this somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_73LFI1pzjo

What did you record the vid with? I tried Fraps, but it throws the audio into extreme offsync. :sleep: But I'll add the vid to the first post. :rolleyes: Thanks!
Image To support my work and help me get a new computer. Thanks!
ImageImageImageImageImage
A bit sleepy
User avatar
Kotti
Member
Posts: 2860
Joined: March 23rd, 2007
Location: Finland
Reputation: 0
Contact:

Re: Advanced Song Tutorial 2 - *Become a Great Fretter*

Postby Kotti » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:35 am

Hypercam 2, I've been using that for everything that runs in a window. For some reason it can't record full screen properly, if it could, I would have done a big tutorial a long time ago.
Image
Image
700+ songs fretted!!
User avatar
Puppetz
Member
Posts: 8305
Joined: June 10th, 2007
Location: Finland
Reputation: 4
Contact:

Re: Advanced Song Tutorial 2 - *Become a Great Fretter*

Postby Puppetz » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:07 am

Kotti wrote:Hypercam 2, I've been using that for everything that runs in a window. For some reason it can't record full screen properly, if it could, I would have done a big tutorial a long time ago.

Haha, I can only record full screen with fraps. If I have it windowed, it throws the audio totally offsync.
Image To support my work and help me get a new computer. Thanks!
ImageImageImageImageImage
DRUMZZZ!
User avatar
Typhus
Member
Posts: 1422
Joined: December 29th, 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Reputation: 2
Contact:

Re: Advanced Song Tutorial 2 - *Become a Great Fretter*

Postby Typhus » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:10 am

Hello Puppetz!

Do you think that THIS should be added somewhere in the OP? I know you don't use anchors...but if someone does it would be helpful...I guess...

What do you think?

Nothing for now...

Click Here -> Latest W.I.P. song is Ride The Sky by Helloween

Kotti wrote:One of the many songs Typhus made for FoFH3. Check out his song thread, he deserves more recognition than is getting...
lukarocker wrote:Your latest Arch enemy song made my decision! YOU ARE MY NUMBER ONE FRETTER!!!
nariel99 wrote:But luckily , you find the post and were interested in the project. And the result : a pure moment of epicness in Frets on Fire . Once again thank you...
death_au wrote:Power metal covers of pop songs = WIN
+ Frets on Fire = EPIC WIN. Thank you Typhus :thumbup:
OPIK wrote:+ All difficulties included. That's PRECISELY why TYPHUS is in my "Personnal TOP 3 Best Fretters" !
dertanz wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DON'T EVER QUIT... man you are one of my fav charters :crying: you can't quit... if you quit charting I'd quit playing :crying:
DaBackStabber666 wrote:I love your frettings :D
loth wrote:Typhus YOU SO RULE!! I love playing the songs you have fretted! :2thumbsup: Even on Supereasy the accurate representation of the music comes out. What a pleasure playing these, I can't wait for more metal tunes from you. Thanks SO much for doing ALL LEVELS, my fun meter is on high! :thumbup:
THANKS GUYS!!

My Song Thread [ALL DIFFICULTIES] | Alternative/Rock/Metal Genres
Lamb Of God - Ashes Of The Wake -> FULL ALBUM
Lamb Of God - Sacrament -> MASTER TRACKS|FULL ALBUM|ALL INSTRUMENTS
Lamb Of God - Wrath -> MASTER TRACKS|FULL ALBUM|ALL INSTRUMENTS
Check out Puppetz Advanced Song Tutorial, now with instructions on how to use Anchors.
700+ songs fretted!!
User avatar
Puppetz
Member
Posts: 8305
Joined: June 10th, 2007
Location: Finland
Reputation: 4
Contact:

Re: Advanced Song Tutorial 2 - *Become a Great Fretter*

Postby Puppetz » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:39 am

Typhus wrote:Hello Puppetz!

Do you think that THIS should be added somewhere in the OP? I know you don't use anchors...but if someone does it would be helpful...I guess...

What do you think?

Sure why not? You could do the same thing as you did last time, adding it in the code, and send it back here. You deside where it should take place. :smile:
Image To support my work and help me get a new computer. Thanks!
ImageImageImageImageImage
DRUMZZZ!
User avatar
Typhus
Member
Posts: 1422
Joined: December 29th, 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Reputation: 2
Contact:

Re: Advanced Song Tutorial 2 - *Become a Great Fretter*

Postby Typhus » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:00 pm

Done! PM has been sent, my Lord!

:laugh:

Cya bro!

Nothing for now...

Click Here -> Latest W.I.P. song is Ride The Sky by Helloween

Kotti wrote:One of the many songs Typhus made for FoFH3. Check out his song thread, he deserves more recognition than is getting...
lukarocker wrote:Your latest Arch enemy song made my decision! YOU ARE MY NUMBER ONE FRETTER!!!
nariel99 wrote:But luckily , you find the post and were interested in the project. And the result : a pure moment of epicness in Frets on Fire . Once again thank you...
death_au wrote:Power metal covers of pop songs = WIN
+ Frets on Fire = EPIC WIN. Thank you Typhus :thumbup:
OPIK wrote:+ All difficulties included. That's PRECISELY why TYPHUS is in my "Personnal TOP 3 Best Fretters" !
dertanz wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DON'T EVER QUIT... man you are one of my fav charters :crying: you can't quit... if you quit charting I'd quit playing :crying:
DaBackStabber666 wrote:I love your frettings :D
loth wrote:Typhus YOU SO RULE!! I love playing the songs you have fretted! :2thumbsup: Even on Supereasy the accurate representation of the music comes out. What a pleasure playing these, I can't wait for more metal tunes from you. Thanks SO much for doing ALL LEVELS, my fun meter is on high! :thumbup:
THANKS GUYS!!

My Song Thread [ALL DIFFICULTIES] | Alternative/Rock/Metal Genres
Lamb Of God - Ashes Of The Wake -> FULL ALBUM
Lamb Of God - Sacrament -> MASTER TRACKS|FULL ALBUM|ALL INSTRUMENTS
Lamb Of God - Wrath -> MASTER TRACKS|FULL ALBUM|ALL INSTRUMENTS
Check out Puppetz Advanced Song Tutorial, now with instructions on how to use Anchors.
DRUMZZZ!
User avatar
Typhus
Member
Posts: 1422
Joined: December 29th, 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Reputation: 2
Contact:

Re: Advanced Song Tutorial 2 - *Become a Great Fretter*

Postby Typhus » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:11 am

Ok...so I've written this in my W.I.P. thread but I think I should come here and write as well...

I've noticed that FL Studio does not "compute" certain BPM tempos that we define in dB. This sucks!

Why?

I'll explain, because of the star notes sections issue, that I've talked about in the OP (when you chart drums), we must correct our mid files after converting them from chart to mid. And so, I was doing this using FL Studio. But, unfortunately, FL Studio not only removes the section names that you define in dB but, as well, if you have something like 96.342 defined in dB after importing and exporting from FL Studio, I've noticed that 96.342 had been changed into something else, like 96.299 or something. That is, FL Studio changes, a bit, the BPM speed that had been defined in dB. Usually this doesn't add any issues to syncing but in some songs it can completely mess up the sync in some parts.

Well, this really sucks! I don't know how to configure FL Studio in order to prevent this so I had to use Anvil Studio to change the star power sections without losing section names nor BPM speed.

Oh well... Does anyone knows how to prevent this from happen in FL Studio? I mean this is really bad because I spend a LOT of time syncing stuff in dB and it kills me to see a chart of mine going off sync when it's not my fault...

I just hope that by "reporting" this I'm able to help all of you that came across this type of issues and hope that anyone can help me because I really dig FL Studio. Anvil Studio is fine but it's not that user friendly like FL Studio is.

Oh, and I've remembered another thing...when you import mid files into FL Studio there's an option that's activated by default which is "Realign Events". This option sucks as well. why? Because, if you have removed all fake tracks, using FoF Song manager, that Chart2mid adds while converting from chart to mid, when you import the mid file into FL Studio, having that option activated, the program opens the mid on the first note. And that is an huge issue because it will simply clean the 2 secs of silence in the beginning of our charts and the notes will come 2 secs early than the song.

Now that FoFix ignores the fake tracks we don't need to remove the fake tracks but since I've always done this, and since not everyone uses FoFiX, I still clean up all fake tracks in my charts, therefore, and once again, if you have experienced this as well, now you know what to do in FL Studio...just deactivate "Realign Events" when opening the mid file.

I don't know if this should be added to the OP because I guess that not all of us uses FL Studio, and so I don't know if adding this up will not only create confusion for first time readers...

Anyway, I thought that this is important for the ones that use, that's why I've decided to write this here.

Hasta!

Nothing for now...

Click Here -> Latest W.I.P. song is Ride The Sky by Helloween

Kotti wrote:One of the many songs Typhus made for FoFH3. Check out his song thread, he deserves more recognition than is getting...
lukarocker wrote:Your latest Arch enemy song made my decision! YOU ARE MY NUMBER ONE FRETTER!!!
nariel99 wrote:But luckily , you find the post and were interested in the project. And the result : a pure moment of epicness in Frets on Fire . Once again thank you...
death_au wrote:Power metal covers of pop songs = WIN
+ Frets on Fire = EPIC WIN. Thank you Typhus :thumbup:
OPIK wrote:+ All difficulties included. That's PRECISELY why TYPHUS is in my "Personnal TOP 3 Best Fretters" !
dertanz wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DON'T EVER QUIT... man you are one of my fav charters :crying: you can't quit... if you quit charting I'd quit playing :crying:
DaBackStabber666 wrote:I love your frettings :D
loth wrote:Typhus YOU SO RULE!! I love playing the songs you have fretted! :2thumbsup: Even on Supereasy the accurate representation of the music comes out. What a pleasure playing these, I can't wait for more metal tunes from you. Thanks SO much for doing ALL LEVELS, my fun meter is on high! :thumbup:
THANKS GUYS!!

My Song Thread [ALL DIFFICULTIES] | Alternative/Rock/Metal Genres
Lamb Of God - Ashes Of The Wake -> FULL ALBUM
Lamb Of God - Sacrament -> MASTER TRACKS|FULL ALBUM|ALL INSTRUMENTS
Lamb Of God - Wrath -> MASTER TRACKS|FULL ALBUM|ALL INSTRUMENTS
Check out Puppetz Advanced Song Tutorial, now with instructions on how to use Anchors.
700+ songs fretted!!
User avatar
Puppetz
Member
Posts: 8305
Joined: June 10th, 2007
Location: Finland
Reputation: 4
Contact:

Re: Advanced Song Tutorial 2 - *Become a Great Fretter*

Postby Puppetz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:12 am

That s*cks... Should use Anvil Studio instead. I've never tried it but people seems to like one too. You can export the notes there also, without it messing with the sections.
Image To support my work and help me get a new computer. Thanks!
ImageImageImageImageImage
The Final Darkness
User avatar
dadudemandude
Member
Posts: 1725
Joined: September 6th, 2007
Location: Holland
Reputation: 0
Contact:

Re: Advanced Song Tutorial 2 - *Become a Great Fretter*

Postby dadudemandude » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:50 pm

I would like to notify you of a small thing that you may or may not have found already, but can still impact the way a tab is interpreted. I once tried to check out how GP actually places notes in the midi file upon conversion, I tried it with the open strings first (example 1) and then I tried it the same way with multiple frets. It turns out that the notes that are on the 4th/5th fret will reach the same height as the open string above it (example 2).

Image
Image

How does it impact anything? Usually it's not much of a deal, but once I saw the tab of Handroid by Daita and compared the tab between the GP and the FL version. You will notice that in FL there are sets of two notes after each other whereas in the GP tab they are clearly in a different spot.

Image

I just thought I'd point out this little problem, it isn't that bothersome since few songs have this, but it can cause people to interpret certain parts of a song the wrong way.

Davey
Image
DRUMZZZ!
User avatar
Typhus
Member
Posts: 1422
Joined: December 29th, 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Reputation: 2
Contact:

Re: Advanced Song Tutorial 2 - *Become a Great Fretter*

Postby Typhus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:12 pm

Well, I've never noticed that before (much because I prefer to trust my ears instead of charts that have been made by some dude that might not have a clue of what he's doing...), but thanks for this tip.

BTW, is it just me or, on the second third example you've shown, the notes on FL are matching the notes in the tab? :blink: Seriously, I tried to see anything wrong but I didn't...

Maybe it's just me...

-- Edit: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:16 am --

Wait a minute...

The higher notes should be F and not F#. :blink:

Another FL X-File.

:sleep:

-- Edit: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:19 am --

Or maybe, GP is not converting stuff correctly into midi...

Nothing for now...

Click Here -> Latest W.I.P. song is Ride The Sky by Helloween

Kotti wrote:One of the many songs Typhus made for FoFH3. Check out his song thread, he deserves more recognition than is getting...
lukarocker wrote:Your latest Arch enemy song made my decision! YOU ARE MY NUMBER ONE FRETTER!!!
nariel99 wrote:But luckily , you find the post and were interested in the project. And the result : a pure moment of epicness in Frets on Fire . Once again thank you...
death_au wrote:Power metal covers of pop songs = WIN
+ Frets on Fire = EPIC WIN. Thank you Typhus :thumbup:
OPIK wrote:+ All difficulties included. That's PRECISELY why TYPHUS is in my "Personnal TOP 3 Best Fretters" !
dertanz wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DON'T EVER QUIT... man you are one of my fav charters :crying: you can't quit... if you quit charting I'd quit playing :crying:
DaBackStabber666 wrote:I love your frettings :D
loth wrote:Typhus YOU SO RULE!! I love playing the songs you have fretted! :2thumbsup: Even on Supereasy the accurate representation of the music comes out. What a pleasure playing these, I can't wait for more metal tunes from you. Thanks SO much for doing ALL LEVELS, my fun meter is on high! :thumbup:
THANKS GUYS!!

My Song Thread [ALL DIFFICULTIES] | Alternative/Rock/Metal Genres
Lamb Of God - Ashes Of The Wake -> FULL ALBUM
Lamb Of God - Sacrament -> MASTER TRACKS|FULL ALBUM|ALL INSTRUMENTS
Lamb Of God - Wrath -> MASTER TRACKS|FULL ALBUM|ALL INSTRUMENTS
Check out Puppetz Advanced Song Tutorial, now with instructions on how to use Anchors.
700+ songs fretted!!
User avatar
Puppetz
Member
Posts: 8305
Joined: June 10th, 2007
Location: Finland
Reputation: 4
Contact:

Re: Advanced Song Tutorial 2 - *Become a Great Fretter*

Postby Puppetz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:46 pm

@dadude: Yeah I've noticed that. But that's pretty rare. And for me it seems more common in acoustic parts/songs... but that can be just pure coincidence.

And if you want, you could add that to the first post (copy the code, and edit that stuff into my code), and send it to me so I can change the first post.
Image To support my work and help me get a new computer. Thanks!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Hasta la vista.
User avatar
Flood1993
Member
Posts: 91
Joined: February 16th, 2009
Reputation: 0

Re: Advanced Song Tutorial 2 - *Become a Great Fretter*

Postby Flood1993 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:09 pm

dadudemandude wrote:I would like to notify you of a small thing that you may or may not have found already, but can still impact the way a tab is interpreted. I once tried to check out how GP actually places notes in the midi file upon conversion, I tried it with the open strings first (example 1) and then I tried it the same way with multiple frets. It turns out that the notes that are on the 4th/5th fret will reach the same height as the open string above it (example 2).

Image
Image

How does it impact anything? Usually it's not much of a deal, but once I saw the tab of Handroid by Daita and compared the tab between the GP and the FL version. You will notice that in FL there are sets of two notes after each other whereas in the GP tab they are clearly in a different spot.

Image

I just thought I'd point out this little problem, it isn't that bothersome since few songs have this, but it can cause people to interpret certain parts of a song the wrong way.

Davey



Both are aright, the way Guitar Pro exports it and the way FL shows it. This is because, in a normal tune tuned guitar, in the 6th string, the 5th fret sounds the same than an open note on the 5th string, and well, just type 'How to tune a guitar'. For example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLY21WH5qDI
At the time of fretting, it doesn't matter; in FoF you play the notes according to the sound, not according to the real way it's played on a guitar.

I don't know if I helped, I hope so.

Flood.
Image
The Final Darkness
User avatar
dadudemandude
Member
Posts: 1725
Joined: September 6th, 2007
Location: Holland
Reputation: 0
Contact:

Re: Advanced Song Tutorial 2 - *Become a Great Fretter*

Postby dadudemandude » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:48 am

I knew that one, I don't think you understood the real point of the post. The point was that people who fret songs through the use of tabs displayed in FL can come across notes that look like they are two notes on the same fret when in actuality they are not.

Davey
Image

Return to “Tutorials and Tools”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests